President's House (Bennington College)
The Brick House was built ca. 1844 for Reverand Isaiah Mattison, pastor of a Baptist Church in Shaftsbury, VT. The house became the property of Bennington College in the 1980’s and has since been the home of the President. The renovation done by Centerline, in collaboration with Benjamin Szalewicz, focused on preserving original details and character while infusing the clients’ modern aesthetic in new elements.
The renovation combined a small galley kitchen and living room to create a large, open kitchen with separate areas for family cooking and catering. This resulted in a cooking area with sight lines to the dining room and living room, ideal for entertaining, while concealing prep and washing areas.The upper level had many bedrooms, but lacked a true master suite. Two bedrooms and a bathroom were combined to create a master bedroom with an en-suite bathroom and walk in closet. The project also included updates to bathrooms and finishes throughout the house.